POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Set of old renders 5/10 - Water cup : Re: Set of old renders 5/10 - Water cup Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:35:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Set of old renders 5/10 - Water cup
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Jan 2018 21:10:00
Message: <web.5a693c52c399a6d15cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I like this; the 'embossed' shapes on the cup look to be actual geometry, not
> just some fancy normals(?).

It does appear that way, doesn't it?  I was wondering how he achieved such a
beautiful effect, and you prompted me to unzip the source files he provided and
look.
It's just a bump map.
Alain pointed out the gold stripe, but that I suppose could be due to almost
anything, depending upon how the cup is "built".

> I wonder how this would look with POV-Ray's newer subsurface scattering effect
> added?

Yes, that would be something to see, wouldn't it?
Perhaps add a thin layer of clear glaze with some crazing as well - perhaps do
an old/new comparison...

Really beautiful work.  This and the watch are my favorites.  Maybe I'll get the
time to peek at the source of that as well.  :)