POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : using the CUBIC pattern with image_maps : Re: using the CUBIC pattern with image_maps Server Time
4 May 2024 07:38:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using the CUBIC pattern with image_maps
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Jan 2018 04:40:00
Message: <web.5a5f18a91231bd02a47873e10@news.povray.org>

> I'm perhaps missing your intent, but the cubic pattern does map the 3D
> space inside the +x,+y,+z,-x,-y and -z pyramids. Meaning if the textures
> in the texture list change/blend along the appropriate axis you can
> blend multiple textures or images inside each pyramid/face. For example
> something like:
[snip]

Yes, that's the idea that I had in mind-- and it looks like you've solved it! I
need to digest your idea further, to fully understand it. Nicely done. And
thanks for posting your image example.

> I've used the alpha channel transparency in png files to see through
> parts of the faces to the inside surface of opposing faces. I thought
> the transmit <n/all> and filter <n/all> were for use with indexed image
> file formats like gif, but perhaps I'm not up with current functionality?

I actually haven't tried applying an alpha-channel image_map to one of the
faces; I should do that, to see the results.

'transmit all ..some value..' can be used with an image_map, to make it
semi-transparent or even to fade it out completely. It works with JPEG and PNG
images, although I haven't tried other types. (I'm not too familiar with indexed
images or how POV-ray handles them.)  A recent fix by Clipka even allows
*alpha-channel* images to be likewise faded, even though they already have an
alpha-channel mask (a feature that was 'broken' for a long time.)