POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rays path Length : Re: Rays path Length Server Time
26 Apr 2024 19:35:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rays path Length
From: Motive17
Date: 15 Jan 2018 06:30:00
Message: <web.5a5c9064f3020183e278d3b70@news.povray.org>
> Am 12.01.2018 um 14:53 schrieb Motive17:
>
> > Maybe a trivial question but...about the values x,y,z in the definition of the
> > function Fn:
> >
> >  Fn = function(x,y,z) {
> >          FnDist(x-xC,y-yC,z-zC) +
> >          FnDist(x-xL,y-yL,z-zL)
> >
> > what do they represent for POV-ray?
>
> They represent the x, y and z coordinates for whatever point the pigment
> based on the funciton is evaluated for.
>

> > I was thinking I could introduce a such function directly as a light attenuation
> > function in the definition of light source.
> >
> > What do you think about?
>
> That wouldn't fly: The distance-based attenuation of light sources only
> affects the brightness based on the distance between the light source
> and the surface. The distance between the surface and the camera isn't
> affecting the brightness at all.

In order to be more clear I'll write down some details...

I was thinking to define this function, based on your advices :

#declare FnDist = function(x,y,z) { sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z) }
#declare  Fn = function(x,y,z) {
          FnDist(x-xC,y-yC,z-zC) +
          FnDist(x-xL,y-yL,z-zL)
                               }
ight_source {
                 <0,0,0>
                 color rgb <255,255,255>*1/Fn
                 fade_distance 1
                 fade_power 0
                 media_interaction off
                 media_attenuation off
                }

Unlickely, It doesn't fly.
I did not understand which is the reason in this case.
I cannot define a function in the definition of light source?