POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Print backdrop stage : Re: Print backdrop stage Server Time
27 Apr 2024 07:46:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Print backdrop stage
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Jan 2018 13:40:00
Message: <web.5a4a7ff99bc676bf89df8d30@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> I like the checked texture. It is un-fussy.
>
> I've mostly used uv mapping with mesh2 objects and with them you need to
> use a 3rd party program like uv mapper or Blender, to do the mapping.
>
> With povray objects like spheres, cylinders etc you need to use a
> mapping that has a spherical or cylindrical projection.
> So it depends on what you want to map to what.

One idea I've come up with:
Beginning with v3.7.1 (which would be one of the current beta development
versions), POV-Ray's CYLINDER object can now have u-v mapping. (I'm currently
using 3.7.1 beta 9.)

With an 'open' cylinder-- and some appropriate clipped-by planes-- the curving
section of Stephen S's backdrop can be made to look right. I've been trying to
do that, but it's...tricky, because of the way uv-mapping works on cylinders,
and because of the way pigments or image_map tiles need to be scaled on it to
look correct. AND to get that scaling to 'match up' with the scaled pigments on
his vertical and horizontal objects, to look like a seamless blend. Not easy,
but it can be done.