POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : using the CUBIC pattern with image_maps : using the CUBIC pattern with image_maps Server Time
4 May 2024 12:43:00 EDT (-0400)
  using the CUBIC pattern with image_maps
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Dec 2017 10:30:01
Message: <web.5a3fc73f52f18fa389df8d30@news.povray.org>
For my continuing work on my 'city buildings' scene, I wanted to check out the
new(?) CUBIC pattern, to see if might be an easier way to apply my
building-window image_maps to the five visible sides of a box.

The docs explain only the very basics of using the pattern, as a simple list of
six textures to apply. This works fine as-is for applying 'typical' pigments--
bozo, bumps, gradients, etc.-- but doesn't work well with individual image_maps
on the cube's faces. How to do that turned out to be not quite so obvious, so I
thought I would post the basic procedure.

There might be other permutations of scale/translate that would also work, but
these are what I came up with. (Ideally, the same scales/translations should
also be used with POV-Ray's other pigment patterns, but are probably unnecessary
because of the visual nature of those patterns. The placement of image_maps is
more finicky.)

[NOTE: DON'T use the 'once' keyword in the image_maps; it causes that particular
face of the cube to disappear! Which might actually be useful, of course.]
------------
box{0,1
   translate -.5 // box needs to be centered on origin, as docs say
   texture{
        cubic

   // RIGHT-SIDE
   texture{pigment{image_map{jpeg "CUBIC image 1.jpg"}
   rotate -90*y translate <0,.5,.5>}}

   // TOP
   texture{pigment{image_map{jpeg "CUBIC image 2.jpg"}
   rotate 90*x translate <.5,0,.5>}}

   // REAR
   texture{pigment{image_map{jpeg "CUBIC image 3.jpg"}
   scale -1 rotate 180*x translate <.5,.5,0>}}

   // LEFT_SIDE
   // texture{pigment{cells scale .15}}
   texture{pigment{image_map{jpeg "CUBIC image 4.jpg"}
   rotate 90*y translate <0,.5,.5>}}

   // BOTTOM
   texture{pigment{image_map{jpeg "CUBIC image 5.jpg"}
   rotate -90*x translate <.5,0,.5>}}

   // FRONT
   texture{pigment{image_map{jpeg "CUBIC image 6.jpg"}
   translate <.5,.5,0>}}
          }
    }

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cubic_pattern_good.jpg' (377 KB)

Preview of image 'cubic_pattern_good.jpg'
cubic_pattern_good.jpg