POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Experimenting with 3.7 cubic warp and df3 based isosurfaces. : Re: Experimenting with 3.7 cubic warp and df3 based isosurfaces. Server Time
29 Apr 2024 18:01:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experimenting with 3.7 cubic warp and df3 based isosurfaces.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Dec 2017 10:25:01
Message: <web.5a3d22dd6f859568c437ac910@news.povray.org>

> You've got it. That is exactly what I'm doing, but where that sort of
> image has been translated into a plane of a df3 density file.

So, just a single layer of voxels in that unit cube - in the x-y plane.

> #declare FnctTheDF3 = function {
>      pattern{density_file df3 "the.df3" interpolate 3 // 1 if no patch
>      translate -0.5
>      scale 1+(10/800)               // lose df3 side buffer padding.
>      translate 0.5

I'm assuming the unit cube extends from <0, 0, 0> to <1, 1, 1>
so you translate -0.5 to center on the origin, scale, then shift back.

>      scale NrmScale*<0,0,3>+<1,1,0> // to thin plane, z 3x thicken
>      translate <0,0,0.5>            // Set box width to 1.0.

Then you shift the df3 "back" to get the front layer at z=0

>      warp{cubic}                    // Wrap pattern around origin.
>      warp{turbulence 0.04 octaves 5 omega 0.4 lambda 5} }
> }

I suppose it ought to be simple enough to write a macro that assembles such a
map from a square, or add an internal function that does the same.