POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gem cuts preview : Re: Gem cuts preview Server Time
5 May 2024 17:37:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gem cuts preview
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 21 Dec 2017 11:35:04
Message: <web.5a3be1931b2dab2a93ab27150@news.povray.org>
Once again, using someone else's computer; I hope this goes through.

"Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> Courage for the hacking... If you do manage to commit (to GIT?) from an android
> phone, I would be interested to know how.

If I commit, it will be through the Object Collection uploader. I'll let Le
Forgeron worry about GitHub.

> The image is promissing, but too bright:
> is gamma correct?
> are albedo and conserve_energy used?
> are specular / mirror intensity values realistic ones?

My gamma is always 1.0, and I always use conserve_energy.

I did not albedo, because I want the example to run in pre-3.7 scenes. Both
gemstones use an entirely transparent pigment, so the diffuse value is
irrelevant. For the specular value, I precalculated a base value using the
albedo formula in parstxtr.cpp, and then reduced it according to a formula I
developed to /estimate/ the Fresnel effect.

> with darker lighting and a more punctual one, caustics will contrast more.

I will consider lowering the lighting and using a darker wood for the table. I