POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Vector to Angle : Re: Vector to Angle Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vector to Angle
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Dec 2017 16:30:01
Message: <web.5a343e1a3905ed8fc437ac910@news.povray.org>
dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> On 12/15/2017 07:50 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> >  argh.
> >
> > So, just so I fully understand what you want,
> > 1. You want to have a flashlight that always points at "Lookat"
> > 2. You want it offset by a certain amount from the camera position
> >
> > 3.  ... ? (if any)
>
> Yes, like in Doom, where the gun is in a fixed position relative to the
> game window.
>
> (Wait, isn't there a text thingy in the object library that draws text
> in a fixed position on the screen? ...)

Yes.
There is Screen.inc

I think the idea there is that with a default camera position at the origin, and
a view direction of +z, you have a standard -0.5 to +0.5y and -0.5*4/3 to
0.5*4/3x rectangle in the view frustum.
Then you can normalize everything and locate it on that rectangle and if it's a
3D object, squish it really flat.  It gets jammed up right against the camera
with all the no_shadow etc stuff, so it doesn't interfere with the scene.

I had some problems unraveling it all at first, but once I wrapped my head
around it, it wasn't too bad.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.587ce3fc782d1af2c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=418740
&toff=50&mtop=415328