POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "In The Mood" ... : Re: "In The Mood" ... Server Time
3 May 2024 01:07:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "In The Mood" ...
From: Kenneth
Date: 8 Dec 2017 19:40:01
Message: <web.5a2b2f88df62cf0b89df8d30@news.povray.org>
That is really stunning; to me it looks 'real'. I'm a long-time fan of good
cinematography (especially from the 'old' Hollywood days), and this looks great,
as does the girl.

Cinematography as an art-form is really about illusion-- making a scene look
'more real than real', to create a mood (and to be visually beautifl, of
course.) Sadly, that's lacking in many modern TV shows and movies. My personal
favorite practicioner (now deceased, I think) is Freddie Young, BSC-- Doctor
Zhivago, Lawerence Of Arabia, and so many other beautiful films.

I agree with another comment here-- I think the girl needs a backlight or 'hair
light', from the upper left, just to add a little sheen to separate her hair
from the background.

The thing that seems to be missing from most CGI human-model textures is subtle
skin blemishes, and tiny skin wrinkles. We all have them (even with the best
movie-style makeup applied.) I'm thinking that the girl needs just a hint of
'crow's feet' wrinkling at the corners of her eyes, as an example.

I've never attempted making a realistic human face, so I have no idea of the
amount of work that goes into it, or of all the subtle details that are
required. You're light-years ahead of me!