POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : problem with turbulence in 'fog' : Re: problem with turbulence in 'fog' Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problem with turbulence in 'fog'
From: omniverse
Date: 3 Dec 2017 23:00:01
Message: <web.5a24c7b380800e7e9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> > Am 03.12.2017 um 23:52 schrieb Kenneth:
> > > Unless I'm completely mistaken about what to expect, it seems that turbulence
> > > does not work at all when used in plain fog, even though it's supposed to.
> > >
> > > In POV-Ray's demo scenes (scenes/interior/) there are two fog files, 'foglayr'
> > > and 'foglyr2'. Run either one of those, and wildly increase the turbulence
> > > amounts. There is still no turbulence that I can see. Tested in the latest
> > > 3.8.0-alpha and in 3.7.1-beta9
> >
> > Not sure, but maybe try toying around with `turb_depth`.
> >
> > According to the source code, the turbulence parameter does /something/.
>

> something.
>
>  Oh yeah it was one of the example scenes of fog type 2, ground fog, I was
> checking with 3.7.1 beta. Thought it was something about thickness or distance,

Hmmm. Not what I was thinking. The scene file is ..scenes\advanced\mist.pov and
it was ground fog, but what it was the turbulence itself I had to increase
drastically to see it good. Also increasing 'distance' to make it more apparent
closest to camera, otherwise it tends to wash out in itself and scene
background.

Still can't see obvious turbulent fog above the water in that scene either, so
it looks almost like a surface texture.

Here's the fog statement I used, changed more before posting this, with a
curious thing about turb_depth 0.5 and other values used for that. Please take a
look at that mist.pov if you will:

fog{
    color rgb 0.7 //Gray70
    fog_type 2
    fog_alt 0.67
    fog_offset 0
    distance 4
    turbulence <0.8, 0.2, 0.8>*9
   // turb_depth 0.5 // 0.5 same as without any?
    omega 0.6
    lambda 1.2
    octaves 6
}