POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using comments: a visual problem in the editor window : Re: using comments: a visual problem in the editor window Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:56:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using comments: a visual problem in the editor window
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Nov 2017 11:35:01
Message: <web.5a20328a9d119660c437ac910@news.povray.org>

> Since we want to get rid of that 3rd party component anyway, I don't
> think we will do anything about this issue (except possibly re-define
> the POV-Ray SDL itself, as I suspect the nested block comments may be an
> issue with other syntax-highlighting editors as well).

I like that idea, and would find it useful to have several methods of
"commenting" text - much like there is (, [, and { to bracket/parenthesize
expressions in math.

Then these could be nested without interference.
It would also give a scene author the ability to _highlight_ certain parts of
their comments.

With regard to nesting, and rewriting SDL, I do understand the desire/necessity
to maintain backwards compatibility, however #end is used to close so many
different directives, that it can seriously hamper debugging.

#endif
#next
#endswitch

or other directives to close an open directive block might be useful, and if
it's possible to recognize one of those command OR an old-syntax #end, then
backward compatibility would be maintained.

Either that, or the ability to have command aliases such as
#alias "#endif" = "#end";