POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud City II : Re: Cloud City II Server Time
1 May 2024 00:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud City II
From: Kenneth
Date: 30 Nov 2017 05:20:00
Message: <web.5a1fda8b2231f8ba89df8d30@news.povray.org>
This is really impressive. The choice of using lighting at dusk (or dawn?)
instead of 'mid-day' makes the entire scene look magical. The same goes for the
very nice hazy cloud effect.

Thanks for posting your code. I've been playing around with it, and made an
area_light to replace your point light... which makes the scene even SLOWER to
render, of course, but I noticed that your test-building on the left was casting
too 'sharp' of a shadow through the foggy atmosphere, compared to the size of
the large Sun. (I only noticed the sharpness re: that one building, so *maybe*
the area light could be assigned to *just* that building, in a light_group, to
save rendering time. I haven't tried that yet, though.) Anyway, here's the
light...

light_source
{
-z*9999.0//< 50, 100, -250 >*10e4
  color 1.3//< 1.0,  0.62353,  0.46667 >*2
  area_light
 <450, 0, 0> <0, 0, 450>
  6, 6                // total number of lights in grid (4x*4z = 16 lights)
  adaptive 1          // 0,1,2,3...
  // area_illumination on
  jitter              // adds random softening of light
  circular            // make the shape of the light circular
  orient              // orient light
  rotate < 20.0, 240.0, 0.0 > // altitude, azimuth, tilt
}

Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:

> 2
> The two suns don't look like suns but just like luminescent discs. No
> glow, and their colors are not correct, too: the large sun should be dim
> red, and the small sun should be white-glowing blue, each having a glow
> around them.

Surrounding the Sun(s) with a sphere of emission media (not too dense, and with
a 'spherical'-pattern color-map bleeding off to transparency) might work for the
glow(s).

Over the years, I've discovered that media colors do indeed change the
appearance of background object colors; it's a typical (and expected)
side-effect of media's color filtering. My own workaround for that has been to
radically change the colors of the background objects (your Suns, for example)
to try and 'compensate' for the color change. I usually have to do it 'by eye'
with test renders and experimentation. BTW, you can even use *negative* color
values for those objects-- like rgb <-.5,.3,-.7> for example -- to 'subtract'
unwanted media colors there, if you need to.