POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cloud City II : Re: Cloud City II Server Time
30 Apr 2024 18:00:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud City II
From: omniverse
Date: 30 Nov 2017 00:10:01
Message: <web.5a1f91b72231f8ba9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
> THE PROJECT
>
> To develop a scene where tall futuristic skyscrapers rise above cloud
> level, not necessarily on Earth.
>
> PUBLIC DOMAIN
>
> I can even imagine, each POV-Ray community member with interest in this
> project can design the interior of his/her own flying home (a flattened
> bubble with a diameter of 20 meters) and submit it to this thread as
> self-sustaining INCLUDE file.

I think anyone offering help considers their SDL freely given, only nice to
mention if you feel the need. If I'm wrong maybe we will hear differently.

Ambitious goal, not sure I could do more but it has potential.

There could be inherent problems with the realism aspect of the suns and
atmosphere. I know some people have attempted it in the past with some good
results, but I don't remember how simple time of day or motion changes affected
them. A scene can become unexpectedly different due to even slight changes of
camera/light/objects.
I think of POV-Ray as not being a reality simulator, more of a simulation of
reality. If that makes sense.

I suppose a good enough facsimile should be possible anyhow, sun orb auras and
all. Once the formulation is found anyway. If the idea is to forego any tricks,
such as halo disc objects, in lieu of pure 'media' it might prove difficult as
you've no doubt seen already.

Bob