POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloud Surface : Re: Cloud Surface Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloud Surface
From: And
Date: 25 Nov 2017 03:00:00
Message: <web.5a19217d9a2a53c1a6394f050@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:
> Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > a question: is there any public source code that allows us to create
> > cloudy surfaces like that one in the attached photo? I want to do
> > something that I never did before: building cloud cities!
> >

> > ---
> > http://www.avg.com
>
> Maybe it can be drawn by media(povray) to some extent. Cycles renderer of
> blender should renders better because its volume rendering contains multiple
> scattering calculations.
> For a thin media like atmosphere, single scattering is in the majority, so
> the media of Povray can simulate well. But cloud is heavy media, light
> passing through it can scatter many times, most of the luminance from a cloud
> is from the multiple scattering.
>
> If you want to draw a cloud in PovRay, maybe scattering media + emission media
> can do it, Or ... ?
> Or subsurface scattering material, this feature of Povray calculate both single
> scattering and multiple scattering in the substance, but scattering density of
> the material is limited to constant.

I uploaded two images:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.5a1917549a2a53c1a6394f050%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.5a1
917549a2a53c1a6394f050%40news.povray.org%3E

and
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.5a191dbf9a2a53c1a6394f050%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.5a1
91dbf9a2a53c1a6394f050%40news.povray.org%3E