POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial project using POVRay : Re: Commercial project using POV-Ray Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:43:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial project using POV-Ray
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Nov 2017 18:15:01
Message: <web.5a18a6a9c19842191b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> On 2017-11-23 11:15 AM, Stephen wrote:
> > BTW I noticed that you write POVRay, I write it as PovRay and the
> > program itself is titled POV-Ray. I've always wondered if anyone gets
> > irked at the different spellings.
>

> I should be spelling it POV-Ray.  In the early days, there was some
> discussion of the spelling.  I remembered that some people were calling
> it PVRay.

Wow, that rekindles an old memory. The first time I ever used POV-Ray was a
version ported to RISCOS on the old Acorn computers - called PVRay. It would
have been early 90s I think. There were several free raytracers doing the rounds
at the time, and the old PVRay was by far the most capable :)

Within a year or so of that, someone ported and distributed v3.0, which then had
the extra 'o'...

Bill