POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clothed in light. : Re: Not Clothed in light. So partial nudity Server Time
18 May 2024 12:52:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not Clothed in light. So partial nudity
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Nov 2017 17:55:01
Message: <web.5a0e15d09675687989df8d30@news.povray.org>

> >> I'm not too keen on that idea. I don't think it would work with three
> >> walls of mirrors.
> >
> > I think you miss my point -
> > I was thinking about using the HDR _only_ as a light source - the
> > image wouldn't be visible in the scene at all (unless you had windows).
>
> I still don't see it for an inside scene. Not going from the HDR images
> I've seen. But if you can find what looks like a suitable one. I'll give
> it a go.

Clipka wrote...
> HDRI illumination is just a poor man's substitute for a proper scene. So
> if you already have a complete room, there's no point in using HDRI for
> illumination. (As a matter of fact it would be counter-productive, as it
> would illuminate the objects in a way that wouldn't match the scenes.)

I'm still a virgin when it comes to trying out HDRI... but Clipka's comments
raise some questions for me (or else/maybe they clarify something that I've
always wondered about.)

My assumption of HDRI has always been that it's basically meant to take the
place of scene lights-- and that it's *most* useful for Sun-lit scenes-- i.e., a
light probe image with the Sun actually visible. (OR, something like an indoor
light probe with several candles as the only illumination.) And that the
rendered scene uses the MUCH-brighter Sun (or small candle flames) *as* the
*distinct* light source(s)-- those sources naturally casting scene-object
shadows as if they are actual bright lights-- and with the rest of the light
probe image functioning more or less as a straight environnment map, for the
remaining soft lighting. (Like typical radiosity results when using a
low-dynamic range image on a large sphere.) In other words, the only real reason
for an HDRI light probe would be for its VERY bright lights, relative to the
rest of its image.

That's my own naive understanding, anyway.

For an enclosed room like the dance hall, it seems to me that a typical LDR
image-plus-radiosity would give equally realistic results (unless the room
contained a SUPER-bright light somewhere.)