POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to? light_source shining through a wall : Re: How to? light_source shining through a wall Server Time
5 May 2024 17:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to? light_source shining through a wall
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Nov 2017 09:30:01
Message: <web.5a05b6ccfad04db289df8d30@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Any object in a light_group will always cast shadows for any light in
> the scene. The light in the light_group can also get shadowed by any
> object outside the light_group.
>
> The light(s) in a light_group can only illuminate objects that are part
> of the same light_group.
> The objects of the group don't receive illumination from lights outside
> of the group unless you add "global_lights on" to the group.

As it turns out, my light_group wasn't needed anyway!

But I was also 'over-thinking' Thomas's original example-- guessing that his
wall was actually part of a much bigger scene, requiring the wall to *cast*
shadows onto other objects (but not onto his single specific object.)

Years ago, I made a REALLY complex scene like that, requiring no_shadow for some
of the objects, and had to figure out a way to get shadows to fall onto the rest
of the scene. If I recall, I had to use multiple (or even nested) light_groups.

In any case, my test code here probably confused things. :-(