POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic field an= : Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel= Server Time
28 Jun 2024 19:34:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel=
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Oct 2017 19:35:00
Message: <web.59f51414231a9fe35cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
"cbpypov" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hey Bald Eagle,
>
> first, it's funny you discovered the time zone thing ... actually there is
> really
> that 1 year + difference between Germany and New Hampshire. But it is a secret,
> so I changed the date to 2017 for now ;)

When I was in Berlin in 1987, it _seemed_ like it took 7-8 hours, but I fell
asleep, so maybe I just pulled a Rip Van Winkle.

> I do not agree (maybe it's my fault, sorry): I want to use my own color map, so
> how should I do this without individual RGB?

Nope, I was hasty - I read right through the different filenames.

> > How long does it take to render this now?
> Actually I have access to, say a server with
> 64
> CPUs and 1 TB RAM for the final render.

Well, that ought to do it.  :)

> I also plan to have a short movie for my
> PhD defence talk with a camera movement into the scene and maybe pulsating
> emitters.
> Would it be nice in your opinion?

Well, defense committees can be hard to figure out.   If the movie accomplishes
something that you can't do otherwise, or explains something that's exceedingly
hard to do with regular slides, then go for it - but sometimes they get cranky
about gimmicky things.  Only you can judge.

> I was adding a Gaussian blur using Photoshop to the HDRI and the silicon is
> weakly
> reflecting. I off course (from a scientific point of view) do not want to see
> much
> of the Hotel :D That's why.

Sure - I understand the "clean" aspect of it, but on the other hand, you
represent it as "highly artistic" - and I'm not sure how much of the HDRI probe
you'd actually see clearly anyway.
I was just wondering.

> That's crazy :D Did you just guess ZIB or did you find me their? I'm actually at
> Helmholtz-Center Berlin, but have a guest status at ZIB. They are developing the
> FEM code that I use.

I was just trying to get a better idea of what your PbS quantum dot project was
about, so I could better visualize and understand what you were trying to
accomplish in your render.
I had come across Zhang & Polthier et. al.'s paper looking through some image
results and the haxagonalized dragon caught my eye.
http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~zhange/images/HexParam.pdf
Then I saw ZIB, and just it was a fun coincidence.

> > I live in New Hampshire, so it's a funny coincidence that you chose the Mount
> > Washington Hotel for your HDRI light probe  :)
>
> Even more crazy. I had that HDRI from the web and did not mind about what it
> shows.

> New Hampshire
> must be a gorgious place! One day my small family and me will visit the US, but
> leave out all the places everyone else goes (we don't like big cities and
> stuff).
> We saw much of New England and Vermont and really like it...

It's certainly not bad - I suppose it's like anywhere else - it has it's good
points and it's bad points, depending on what part you're in.

I'm glad you're getting this to all work out - you put all the pieces together
very _fast_!  I hope the final image is well received, and you do well during
your exit seminar and thesis defense.  The most I accomplished was to make a
useful boroxazolidone - the rest of my PhD was a nightmare, and I just gave up -
terrible "advisor".  Hopefullly you don't have any horror stories, and you have
a great post-defense celebration!  :)