POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic field an= : Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel= Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:09:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel=
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Oct 2017 15:30:00
Message: <web.59f4d9b3231a9fe35cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
"cbpypov" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

Alain wrote:
> > You should use a single container. When you have multiple medias within
> > a single container, they add up.
> > Multiple densities within the same media will multiply instead.

The latter is not what I expected at all!

> THE FINAL PROBLEM:
> How do I specify these media inside the interior with the proper alignment? Say
> I have a singe field and set it as the density (as before). It will then take
> the complete object's vomume, right? How can I get the scaling and the
> positioning of these separate media right?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated and thank you so much for guiding me this far. Im
> sure it will be beautiful in the end :)

So, it sounds to me like what you need to do is have a media statement for each
of your spheres.
It looks like your box is 100 x 100, so perhaps you just adjust the drop-off in
your exponential decay formula to compensate for that 100x scaling of the media
unit cube.
The spheres just get placed in that 100 x 100 box as well instead of in a unit
cell.

I see you are using Stephen's df3 code - but since all of your media statements
and densities are identical except for color, I don't think you need to use 3
statements - just one, with a full rgb value.
Stephen was rendering df3 objects that had uneven color variation - so he needed
to split up the colors so that the R, the G, and the B would be mapped with
different densities, and so add up to a full color range.
That ought to save you some render time.
How long does it take to render this now?
You must be using one of your computers set up for FEM...

A few random comments:
Either you need to seriously adjust your clock for daylight savings time, or the
Time Zone difference between here and Germany is greater than I expected - OR
you started writing this scene a year ago.
It's 2017 over here  ;)

Before you started this thread, I was checking out an interesting paper on
hexagonal mapping of surfaces by Konrad Polthier - I guess he used to be at the
ZIB.  This big world is a small place :D

I live in New Hampshire, so it's a funny coincidence that you chose the Mount
Washington Hotel for your HDRI light probe  :)

Along those lines - I would have expected "more" of the HDRI to be visible on
your surface.  Maybe you want that, maybe you don't.
I also see some yellowish stuff in the holes on the sides near the camera - is
that supposed to be there?  Is it some unintended artifact?