POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : hourly cast sun shadows : Re: hourly cast sun shadows Server Time
26 Apr 2024 06:04:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hourly cast sun shadows
From: MustardMan
Date: 27 Oct 2017 17:45:00
Message: <web.59f3a8097c823ed414683cfa0@news.povray.org>
> Am 11.10.2017 um 23:52 schrieb JimJulian:
>
> >    I need to plot the shadows cast by objects surrounding my back yard. I have a
> > solar power station there and want to determine the best location for the array.
> > Perhaps I need to make the array mobile for best results. I don't know. I want
> > to write a program that will achieve that.
>
> Maybe the `sunpos.inc` include file that ships with POV-Ray already does
> the job.

Hi, I've used 'sunpos' to great effect, and in fact I'm currently doing a
simulation of some solar panels on a roof with the horizon as a "wall" about a
kilometre away. The simulation produces a very good looking frame sequence (and
I can make an avi from those), and I can also generate a file with the power
percentage a panel will receive (in 5 minute increments) according to the angle
of the sun and the angle of the panel. [dot product of the angle vectors].
However, I would like to automatically determine if a panel (or a point on the
panel) is "in the shade". I've not seen anywhere a hint for determining if a
point can "see" the light source, or if it is in shadow. Is there a function for
doing that?
At present I have to look at the frame sequence and manually decide where I have
to start/stop integrating the power figures that pop out of my file. It would be
great if I could get those numbers automatically, especially for multiple days
throughout the year. It is so tiring to do it manually, and repeat it if I
change the panel positions.
Thanks!