POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic field an= : Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel= Server Time
28 Apr 2024 23:47:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel=
From: cbpypov
Date: 26 Oct 2017 16:20:00
Message: <web.59f24244231a9fe3bb23337d0@news.povray.org>
> First, you radius is defined as a function of your intensity, so of course they
> are linked.

Yes, I thought it might be beneficial if the glowing reaches farther in case of
brigther emitters...

> Second, define your density as a function
> density { function{Func(x,y,z)}
> rather than as spherical - that might help your fading

So I did that using exponential decay from the center and the result is much
better! The macro now reads:

#declare Exp_decay = function {
    exp( -(pow(x,2) + pow(y,2) + pow(z,2))*80. )
};

#macro QuantumDot(Radius, Radius_aura, Intensity, Origin)
    // The actual quantum dot
    sphere{
        <0,0,0>, Radius
        texture{ Glass2 } // end of texture
        translate Origin
    } // end of sphere

    // The glowing aura
    sphere {
        <0,0,0>,
        Radius_aura*(1+Intensity)
        pigment { rgbt 1 } hollow
        interior
        { media
            { emission Intensity*5
              density {
                function { Exp_decay(x,y,z) }
                color_map {
                    [0.0 rgbt <0,0,0,1>]
                    [0.5 rgbt <0.5, 0.5, 0.7,1>]
                    [1.0 rgbt <1,1,1,1>]
                }
              }

            }
            media
            { absorption 0.2
            }
        }
        translate Origin
    }
//    #end // end of #for loop
#end // ------------------ end of macro

> The following is all speculation:
> I have some ambiguity about about the additivity of the emissivity.
> [say that 5 times fast]

I was laughing loudly though being alone in the room :D

> I think it might be your color map.
> You might have to use transmit as part of your rgb[t] designations to get a pure
> emission, use no light source, and turn on radiosity.
> might need to add a statement about absorption, but I don't know what the
> default behaviour is.
>
> Experts are online, waiting to answer your questions in the order you post...

See the attachment: the QDs alone are fine now, but The overlap is not. Setting
the transmittance to either 1 or 0 does not make any difference. I also set an
absorption as you mentioned.

BTW: how can I attach multiple files in one post?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'quantum_dot.png' (206 KB)

Preview of image 'quantum_dot.png'