POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : <no subject> : Re: <no subject> Server Time
13 May 2024 21:14:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: <no subject>
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Oct 2017 07:55:00
Message: <web.59f1ccbb6f92e856c437ac910@news.povray.org>

> Much better indeed!

Thanks.

> [you could - maybe - light up a tiny bit the publication reference; not
> essential though]

I'll think about it.  That text makes the render SLOOOOOW.

While this little project answered a question I had, it raised some others.

First, is it possible to use a polynomial to draw out a sphere sweep?
(I just used an x-y scaled polynomial to highlight the edge)
I may have to try out Mike Williams' parametric isosurface method.
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/splines.htm

And second, which I vaguely suspected:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/GraphingPolynomials.aspx

"Finally, notice that as we let x get large in both the positive or negative
sense (i.e. at either end of the graph) then the graph will either increase
without bound or decrease without bound.  This will ALWAYS happen with EVERY
polynomial...."  [emphasis mine]

But that clearly doesn't seem to be the case in this instance!

Sooooo.... maybe someone who does real math[s] can explain what's going on here.