POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic field an= : Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel= Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:09:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Example images for the related post: "Rendering an electromagnetic fiel=
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 25 Oct 2017 17:35:01
Message: <web.59f102cc231a9fe35cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
"cbpypov" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> .... and here is a very coarse 2D slice of an example field, just as I imagine it
> later in 3D ...

It seems the thing to do is model the hexagonal unit cell, union it as an
all-inclusive object, and then repeat it in a hexagonal arrangement.

I'm also thinking that you probably don't even need to go the df3 file route,
since you're already calculating your field.  You can just use that function to
_directly_ define the density of your media.
Likewise, you can use that function to map your colors, and according to the
Bourke site,
"The POVRay file is here: example.pov, note that the density in this example
just controls the emission in the media."
- so the emission brightness can be controlled that way as well.
Just normalize your function so all values are within the 0-1 range.

Hit F1 and type density
then go to the density, media section:

3.7.2.4 Density

"The density statement may begin with an optional density identifier. All
subsequent values modify the defaults or the values in the identifier. The next
item is a pattern type. This is any one of POV-Ray's pattern functions such as
bozo, wood, gradient, waves, etc. Of particular usefulness are the spherical,
planar, cylindrical, and boxed patterns which were previously available only for
use with our discontinued halo feature. All patterns return a value from 0.0 to
1.0. This value is interpreted as the density of the media at that particular
point."