POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating? : Re: Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating? Server Time
8 May 2024 05:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating?
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Oct 2017 13:40:02
Message: <web.59f0cafe42a9f98689df8d30@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> What you describe sounds like colour gamut and/or whitepoint issues to me,
> which are quite unrelated to gamma (except that they can all be subsumed
> under the topic "colour space").
[snip]

> Displays with an LED backlight often have "cleaner" primary colours,
> which give a wider gamut. This is often advertised as giving more "vibrant"
> colours, but this has two sides: Not only /can/ such displays render more
> vibrant colours, they also /do/ interpret the same colour values as more
> vibrant than a sRGB-compliant display would.

Yeah, this 'vibrant color' issue is one of the main reasons why I kept putting
off the purchase of my first flat-panel monitor years ago; my older CRT monitors
(of which I still have ONE working model, thankfully) just looked more 'natural'
to me. And still do ;-)

As to iCC profiles and other assorted goodies...
My Win 7 computer has a built-in graphics chip: Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset
family. (I've never installed a 3rd-party graphics *card* on any computer, BTW.)
From some research I've done, Windows (starting with Vista) began using its own
color gamut-mapping feature or converter, called WCS (Windows Color System). In
Win 7's own "Color Management" app ('advanced' tab), these are the various
parameters I see:

Rendering intent: I set it to "Perceptual (photo images)"

ICC profile-- apparently only one is installed on my computer (or none at all?):
"sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from
calibration."

Device profile: "System default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)"
Viewing conditions: "System default (WCS profile for sRGB viewing conditions)"

And, in the "ICC Rendering Intent To WCS Gamut Mapping" section :
Default rendering intent: "System default (perceptual)"
Perceptual (photo images): "System default (photography)"
-- (the rest of it looks to be unimportant, for my usage; all are system
defaults)--

Does all of this make perfect sense to me? Well...  :-(  I guess I should try
and find an iCC profile for my specific monitor, as you suggest.

For rendering POV-Ray scenes, this is my current set-up:
monitor at its native resolution -- 1920 X 1080
Display_Gamma = srgb
File_Gamma=srgb
assumed_gamma 1.0