POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Monitor Test-Pattern : Re: Monitor Test-Pattern Server Time
5 May 2024 23:43:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monitor Test-Pattern
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Oct 2017 10:15:01
Message: <web.59f09bbd41beb38c89df8d30@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
> Watch this image in it's original size (1920 x 1080)- otherwise it is
> completely useless.

Ha! You beat me to it. I've also been working on a test scene (with a color
spectrum added), but haven't quite finished it (I ran into some... uh...gamma
problems...). In my case, it's not an image but a POV-Ray scene(!), to be
rendered. I *hope* to finish it today/tomorrow; I'll post it here.

> With a not so decent monitor you are probably unable to distinguish the
> 4 top-left black boxes and might also see some vertical banding lines
> within the continuous gray-scale. But if you still see 8 top right
> "black" boxes and the 12 white ones you are OK - you just didn't want to
> spend too much money on your viewing device.

And all of that is exactly what I see! I'm discovering that my consumer-level
VIZIO monitor is not exactly top-of-the-line :-/ Your 'gamma' strip also looks
correct-- depending on precisely where I place my head in front of my monitor
:-(

The blacks across the top are the most difficult to discern, but I do see them
(I hope it's not just my own wishful thinking, ha.)

I should also mention that your image looks the same-- to the limit of my eyes--
in ALL of my image-viewer apps, at least the ones that will load a TIFF
image--including your own IC app, of course ;-) *That's* a nice discovery.
(Avidemux seem to be a no-go, which was surprising; no proper TIFF demuxer.)
BTW, I find it interesting that the continuous-gray box shows slightly
*different* banding patterns, depending on the app I use. (The banding is minor,
I'm happy to say.)

The ONLY app I'm having an actual problem with is my older (v5.0) Photoshop; the
image loads, but with the message, "The embedded ICC profile cannot be used
because the ICC profile is invalid. Ignoring the profile." You know more about
this stuff than I do; but I'm willing to believe that this is the fault of PS,
not your image. In any case, the image looks correct there as well.