POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : city buildings-- WIP 2 : Re: city buildings-- WIP 2 Server Time
4 May 2024 17:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: city buildings-- WIP 2
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 Oct 2017 10:05:01
Message: <web.59ea016354c85aac89df8d30@news.povray.org>
"architype" <arc### [at] gmxcom> wrote:

> Was it simply the evil thing that is real life that befell this thread?
> In any case I enjoyed it and I thought the idea of adding buildings under
> construction was quite nice.

Yeah, real life again; and I've been sidetracked, doing lots of research on
various and interesting POV-Ray-related topics. AND trying to get my new
computer monitor to look correct!

I like this--creating a building from the inside out.  Especially the image with
the added scaffolding, a nice touch.

My only quibble would be with the vertical iron girders; I think they would look
more realistic with a typical 'H' cross-section, rather than square. Unless they
are supposed to be concrete pillars?

I haven't forgotten my own buildings ;-) I ran into a (temporary) roadblock re:
making them with separate upper sections of a smaller size than the base-- like
the way lots of older buildings look in New York, with sections 'stepped back'
as the buildings rise. My original code made that difficult, so I have to
re-write parts of it. I'm exploring various ways of doing that. (And I still
want to try making the building faces out of heightfields, to have a 3-D look
rather than flat.)