POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRAY memory usage : Re: POVRAY memory usage Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY memory usage
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 17 Oct 2017 08:05:01
Message: <web.59e5f197da2c0257c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Max" <max### [at] intelcom> wrote:

> Next question: how likely is someone to do such a thing in a real rendering?

Very.

"Taking advantage of POV-Ray's clever memory management for copies of meshes,
this one has more than 12000 oak trees. "
http://hof.povray.org/River.html

 Are
> there real renderings that need large numbers of objects allocated?
http://hof.povray.org/fallfury.html

This doodle alone consisted of 655,000 untextured spheres.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/message/%3Cweb.592d5e424e850994c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb
.592d5e424e850994c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E

That's just the objects.
Now consider that I might want to store the locations in an array, do
calculations with stored variable values, add textures, etc.

Other people routinely work with meshes in excess of a million vertices.

> Would povray be able to do more if memory were along the lines of 32GB or larger
> for the average user?

YES.