POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating? : Re: Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:42:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does POV-Ray's gamma-adjustment info need updating?
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Oct 2017 07:25:01
Message: <web.59e5e81542a9f98689df8d30@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> On a CTR monitor, each pixel is spread over several groups of phosphore
> patches. Also, the edges of the pixels are somewhat fuzzy, making them
> blend together, at least, a little.

There's one aspect of a CRT that I still don't quite understand: The electron
gun(s)--their beams--can be *deflected* using buttons on the CRT... meaning, you
can 'squash and stretch' the image, so that it completely fills the screen (or
not!) But the acreen's aperture mask or wire mask (with its discrete holes for
the phosphors)is a fixed thing. So, I'm wondering how the squashed-and-stretched
electon beams still manage to correctly 'line up' with those phophors (and it
seems that they do, or the color mix on the screen would be completely messed
up-- which it isn't.) I had always assumed that the magnetic bending of the
beams was done in a continuously smooth way; it *appears* to be smooth. But is
the squashing-and-stretching actually done in discreet steps, so that the
individual  electron beams always *see* their own proper phosphors?

> The charts need to be displayed at one image pixel = one screen pixel.
> If not, you always get some interpolation that will ruin the test.
>
> When using an LCD monitor, it's always better to use its native
> resolution, or an integer fraction of that.
> In your case, that would be 1920 X 1280, 960 x 640, 640 x 427,...
> ANY other resolution will require the use of interpolation.

Yes, I see now that my use of 1600 X 900 was causing blending/interpolation (the
'incorrect' color blending, due to the non-linear 2.2-gamma of the monitor).

> If that makes things too small, then, you can adjust the PPI setting of
> your display, or use larger fonts.

Yes, the small text size (and overall smaller image presentation) was my
original reason for choosing a non-native resolution. It was an old habit, based
on my CRT days (and the fact that my eyes aren't what they used to be!) But I
can change at least the text size in other ways.

I used to set my CRT monitors at 800 X 600!