POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vermeer's Cat - part 1 : Re: Vermeer's Cat - part 1 Server Time
1 Jun 2024 17:57:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vermeer's Cat - part 1
From: Simon J  Cambridge
Date: 16 Oct 2017 07:30:00
Message: <web.59e49752ba4a3238649f7cfc0@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
> Am 10/14/2017 um 21:31 schrieb Simon J. Cambridge:
> >
> > Beautiful! Really beautiful! I am in awe!
> >

> Thank you, Simon.
>
> > That must have taken a good while to create. The posing is spot on. I am
> > presuming Blender? If so, how long did it take you to get to grips with? I keep
> > threatening myself with taking the plunge but have not yet got around to it.
> > (Daunting interface, different way of working, inherent inertia, etc, etc).
> >
> I'm using Blender since about 10 years, but I'm still learning, and
> always will - somehow there are new features and possibilities faster
> added than I'm able to get grasp on the existing ones. So, as I've never
> used Blender for rigging and posing (but I'm certain it can be done
> there), I used DAZ-Studio as I'm already familiar with the way it works
> there.
> But breaking the pitcher was done with Blender and is one of the new
> things I've learned. As it turns out, it is easy to do and I guess I
> will break a lot more things in the future ;)
>
> > Also, what hardware did you use for the render, and how long did it take?
> >

> I had the opportunity to build (and use for myself for a limited time) a
> machine meant for numeric simulations. It's heart is a
> Skylake-generation, 14nm, turbo-clocked Xeon, 20 cores/40 threads with
> 192GB DDR4-2666MHz ram. It did run a AVX2 optimized compile of
> Christoph's UberPOV. Each render took between 35-45 hours.
> For GI based renders, blurred reflections are a must-have-feature - and
> as *every* object in the scenes uses it, I expected even longer render
> times.
> I did prepare a few POV-Ray scenes of mine before-head to be rendered on
> that machine - what else would an old-time POV-Ray user do when he has
> such a beast at his fingertips ;)
>
> -Ive

It's the rigging and the posing in Blender that keeps beckoning to me. At the
moment I do everything by hand (I have a lot of pre-prepared meshes). Can't get
out of the habit! I also keep promising myself a refurbished workstation with a
serious number of cores, but given your render times I am wondering how high
your settings are (radiosity, samples and the like). This may have been
mentioned previously, but are you using SSLT for the hairs?

Either way, no gripes from me. I love the images.

Cheers,

Simon