POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A couple parser performance issues/optimizations. : Re: A couple parser performance issues/optimizations. Server Time
2 May 2024 18:06:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A couple parser performance issues/optimizations.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Oct 2017 06:35:01
Message: <web.59ddf30231ae2f125cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
For single-line  // comments, though, I would have imagined
> that all the text on that particular line would BE ignored, as soon as the
> parser came across a double slash //  Hmm, apparently not.

I think I initially had that impression, but if you think about it, the parser
has to look for a NL/CR line ENDING character so that it knows what the next
line is.

Why this is so SLOW for the parser to do remains puzzling to me, since I can
download hundreds of megabytes, use FIND to search 1000+ page PDF's for text, or
search a whole directory or drive to find that text, and I have a positively
insane spreadsheet I wrote at work which does I don't even want to think about
how many _calculations_ .....

Maybe it's just old, horribly outdated / outmoded coding of the parser.

<Gollum> Clipka hates the parser, yes he does, my Precioussssssss  <Gollum>