POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparent PNGs : Re: Transparent PNGs Server Time
30 Apr 2024 20:58:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent PNGs
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Oct 2017 15:10:01
Message: <web.59dbc948c5de9ff4c437ac910@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:

> The very strange thing with me is, that I find it extremely hard to
> model with WYSIWYG surfaces, but I find it totally easy to write scenes
> with all the coordinates by myself and understand them. This is how I
> got my huge spaceships done.

Yep, we all have our own ways of understanding and manipulating data.

> Okay, here is the sample photo. These oars have no real edges, every
> corner has been rounded and smoothened. And even the edge between staff
> and blade is kinda smoothened a bit.

CSG:
cylinder shaft
Cone tapered from shaft to near the end
flattened cones, slices of cones, or CSG parts of narrow rectangles for blades
flattened sphere or a box for the tip of the blade

If you look through the isosurface docs, you can come up with functions for all
of those primitives, their rotations and translations, and differences, and then
blob them together to get a totally smooth surface.
It sounds hard until you give it a go, and then it doesn't seem too bad.

Use the isosurface approximation or the (I believe very similar) Paul Nylander
mesh code to make an array of smooth_triangle vertices, and you could then
generate a mesh and save it.

'cause it sounds like you want to render a fleet of Roman vessels....