POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface spiral emulation : Re: Isosurface spiral emulation Server Time
4 May 2024 12:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface spiral emulation
From: omniverse
Date: 30 Sep 2017 00:40:01
Message: <web.59cf1fe3bb0a68ac9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>

> (Yes, clearly something's gone all wonky, but this super quick-n-dirty code
> gives a fast insight into why that "sphere" is there.)
>
> The real isosurface still shows a sphere at the origin, and so it seems to be an
> inherent characteristic of this internal function - there is no "sphere".
>
> That sounds all Matrixy....

Great to see the SDL! Way beyond me. I was getting nowhere with it, only plotted
points (spheres) along a line.

I was convinced it must be the line (my SDL):

#declare r2 = mod(r, PARAM0) - PARAM0 * 0.5;

All because the 0.5 is what changed the sphere diameter I was using to try
plotting out the spiral arms.

In yours I see you replaced that with /2, so same thing there.

I needed to replace tau with 2*pi since I'm back to version 3.7.0, and was
Switch meant to be Shape?
That was what I had to change to get a render.

Interesting about the isosurface aspect of it, that hadn't occurred to me. Only
that I figured the function code might be going through another thing to get the
final result.

Turned into something else to play with now that you provided this program code
to SDL conversion.
Gee wouldn't that be something to see, all the internal functions in SDL form!
Talk about some work! So I'm not asking.

Bob