POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
14 May 2024 08:05:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: omniverse
Date: 29 Sep 2017 14:00:07
Message: <web.59ce8968812309429c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> On 29-9-2017 10:45, Mr wrote:
> >
> > Hi, it looks like a good basis, but reflections appear slightly too strong/
> > crisp/ homogenous:
> >
> > Here are three workarounds maybe some already used:
> > *roughness in uberpov reflection block
>
> Yes, something to try indeed.
>
> > *use conserve_energy / albedo + fresnel in reflection block with an explicit ior
>
> I used the finish statement as given by Norbert Kern in his brass
> texture. Can be improved of course ;-)
>
> > *use the proximity pattern as a texture map for the "finish map" trick
> > (http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.2/82/) to modulate reflections and
> > make less of them where metal is corroded/oxidized
>
> As far as I know, it does that already.

Before reading what Mr wrote I was only going to mention the shininess of the
green oxidation too.
Was thinking along the lines of specular highlight and diffuse plus brilliance,
not reflection.

Anyway... your sculpture or bust is somewhat creepy. I see it as an Egyptian
mummy emerging from a golden cocoon.