POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 Server Time
30 Apr 2024 21:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209
From: omniverse
Date: 28 Sep 2017 15:15:00
Message: <web.59cd4914d17574579c5d6c810@news.povray.org>

Thanks for the help! Haven't fixed it by checking what you listed, only found
one thing not the same.

> Normally, you should find something like the following (HKCR =
> Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, D:\POV-Ray = C:\Program Files\POV-Ray):
>
> HKCR\.pov
>     (default)       POV-Ray.Scene
>     PerceivedType   text
>
> HKCR\POV-Ray.Scene
>     (default)       POV-Ray scene source file
>
> HKCR\POV-Ray.Scene\DefaultIcon
>     (default)       D:\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\POV-Ray.Scene-XP.ico
>
> HKCR\POV-Ray.Scene\shell\Open
>     (default)       Edit in POV-Ray 3.7
>
> HKCR\POV-Ray.Scene\shell\Open\command
>     (default)       "D:\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine64.exe" /edit "%1"
>
> HKCR\POV-Ray.Scene\shell\Render

That said "edit" not render, other parts within were right.

>     (default)       Render with POV-Ray 3.7
>
> HKCR\POV-Ray.Scene\shell\Render\command
>     (default)       "D:\POV-Ray\v3.7\bin\pvengine64.exe" /render "%1"
>
> (typically along with one entry per key named "backup")
>

> Besides that, you should also have the following keys, each with lots of
> stuff in them (HKCU = Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER):
>
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\Components
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit\Macro
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit\Older
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit\Open
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit\Recent
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\Windows

All there but I removed references to versions 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7.1 beta.

> You might also want to have a close look at the following entry:
>
> HKCU\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit
>     InitialDir
>
> That's where POV-Ray (more specifically, POV-Ray's editor DLL) seems to
> get the initial directory for the "open file" dialog. If that registry
> entry is broken, that might explain your symptoms.

When reading this I thought that was going to be the answer. It wasn't.

Once again, I have the file open box showing the folder/file list but no buttons
or finishing of that box. It wasn't doing that much before I attempted to get
that missing HKCR/.pov into the registry, which I found was put right after I
removed it.

The broken Open file box is there several moments before Windows puts up the
close program message. Must be something else the 64-bit POV-Ray is expecting to
find.

I've already looked at pvengine.ini in the Documents POV-Ray ini folder and it
has the right things there, based on previous backup save of that.

I think next step would be to try a Restore Point and go back to an earlier time
when things were okay, so I'm going to give that a look. I'm not sure about
getting back to before 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7.1 beta were installed. I wonder how much
3.5 caused trouble, since it refused to render a while ago and I ignored it.