POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209 Server Time
30 Apr 2024 19:57:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.9322209
From: omniverse
Date: 28 Sep 2017 01:20:00
Message: <web.59cc860dd17574579c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> >
> > Attention please!
> [snip]
> > The file open/save (as) caused Windows 10 to force a close of the program. Acts
> > like it isn't able to determine the correct folder/file location to use.
> >
> > And unfortunately, for me, uninstalling all versions and reinstalling 3.7.0
> > again has yet to fix the problem.
>
> Sorry to hear that you're having such troubles. I guess you've already tried
> shutting down the machine and restarting? That seems to help somewhat with
> strange glitches, at least on my Win7 box. Sounds like a registry problem (if
> Win10 even has a registry now!)
>
> The only problem I've ever seen with POV-Ray (in my own similar alpha/beta
> install screwups) is a mis-loaded 'resolution INI' file; but that was easily
> fixed.

Thanks for the sentiment, and I can't report a successful fix yet. Other than to
say it's apparently only affecting the pvengine64.exe while the
pvengine32-sse2.exe is okay.

I went into the registry editor to look around and found a curious thing, no
..pov listed among all the other file types. Although there is the .inc file type
there, it says inc_auto_file within it, and once finding that particular item it
has a pointer (shell, command, open) to "pvengine64.exe" "%1"

Risk taker that I am I duplicated the .inc to make a new .pov and whatever
happened wasn't a fix, but it might have allowed POV-Ray to list folder contents
when I tried to Open a file before once again freezing and forcing another close
of the program.

All this after a couple variations on uninstalls and reinstalls of only version
3.7.0.0.

I'm fairly sure something got mixed up in the Windows registry that makes
pvengine.exe choke on the folder/file system.

Probably my fault for putting everything from version 3.1g to 3.8 on here, beta
and rc 3.7.1 and unofficial stuff too.

Another thing I need to check is a user account which also uses 3.7.0.0
pvengine64.exe but not the others.