POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
28 Sep 2024 13:00:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: Kenneth
Date: 26 Sep 2017 14:30:01
Message: <web.59ca9c4081230942883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>
> I've had sporadic success with the "put the HDD in the freezer" technique.
> In theory, you should only need to get the drive working reliably _once_ for as
> long as you need to transfer the files to a shiny new drive(s).

Hmm, sounds a bit like 'Monty Python' science. Do I cast the Runes while doing
so, to see if the auspices are good? (Kidding, kidding. Sorry, I couldn't resist
;-P

I guess that's basically for a drive that's overheating(?) The trouble with mine
is that it no longer even starts or comes on electrically. I *think* the problem
stems from the fact that I dropped it onto a (rug-covered) floor, from a 3-foot
height off my desk. Dumb. But I didn't think such a minor(??) shock would affect
it so badly. A hard lesson learned.

> Following that logic, I'm sure that all of us here at news.povray.org would very
> much appreciate HD video of you transferring files from your drive while it's
> submerged in a Dewar filled with liquid nitrogen, argon, or helium.

I've already ordered the helium. Now I just need to build the Dewar...and the
pumps...