POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
24 Jun 2024 08:36:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 25 Sep 2017 19:15:00
Message: <web.59c98d3a812309425cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> > HOPEFULLY it's just the motor or
> > drive electronics. I hope to resurrect those files at some point, even if I have
> > to pay one of those 'forensic' companies to extract the data. Not cheap though,
> > ouch.

I've had sporadic success with the "put the HDD in the freezer" technique.
In theory, you should only need to get the drive working reliably _once_ for as
long as you need to transfer the files to a shiny new drive(s).

My preferred embodiment of this is to freeze the drive overnight in an external
drive enclosure, and then while keeping the drive in the freezer, transfer the
files with a USB cable (3.0).

Depending on the weather here in NH, I could just do it on a cold winter day
when it's 20 below.

Following that logic, I'm sure that all of us here at news.povray.org would very
much appreciate HD video of you transferring files from your drive while it's
submerged in a Dewar filled with liquid nitrogen, argon, or helium.