POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 : Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:45:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Sep 2017 04:00:01
Message: <web.59c8b72cf158f762883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > As an alternative, I've been thinking about several different ways of
> > accomplishing the same thing--
>
> What if you constructed an [oversized] object-shaped container and filled it
> with...lots of little transparent spheres with an ior to make a cloud
> that diffracts the light?

That's an intriguing idea-- sort of like duplicating the many *tiny* water
droplets that constitute thick fog. With variable sized-spheres or different
IORs. Food for thought :-)

> Or a slightly oversized version of the same object with filter/transmit applied
> to give a "ghost" around the edges?

Certainly possible, although I *think* the slightly larger object would still
look distinct/sharp. I'd have to experiment to find out.

> What about literally blurring it with a lens placed into the scene between the
> object and the camera?

I actually don't know if a POV-Ray lens-type object will cause 'blurring' the
way a real lens does (which is a combination of the lens itself and the eye's
inability to focus on the resulting 'aerial image.') I've never tried testing
such a thing in POV-Ray. I *suspect* that its camera will always keep all rays
sharply 'focused' (so to speak).