POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 : Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9 Server Time
19 May 2024 02:52:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling the Doctor - nighttime - 16:9
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Sep 2017 11:25:01
Message: <web.59c52a0ef158f762883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
> Am 9/19/2017 um 8:44 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> >
> > Night time in a city. I find the sky to be correct especially if there
> > is some mist.
>
> POV-Ray's scattering media with its Mie haze and Mie murky types to
> create all kinds of atmospheric effects with ease is one of the features
> that I miss in any other rendering engine I have used so far.

I haven't played around much with scattering media's various types (usually
using just type 1.) But I've noticed an additional haze effect in real life that
can't(?) be easiily reproduced, if at all: In a rain-type misty atmosphere (not
actual raindrops, but *heavy* mist), distant light sources like streetlights
look slightly *blurred.* I don't know what the physical reason for this is
(probably a complex phenomenon involving multitudes of different IORs of the
tiny misty 'drops'), but its an effect that would add a bit more realism to a
hazy scene. I have no idea if any other raytracing renderer can do this.