POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
15 May 2024 10:49:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Sep 2017 10:50:01
Message: <web.59c5228981230942883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> probably you overcame the texture fit problem.
> If not I can recommend proximity pattern by using an ambient occlusion render
> together with the usage of Rune's illusion code. This method is fast and very
> precise for small details.

That's a beautiful image.

I'm a big fan of Rune's illusion.inc code. If I understand your method
correctly, it means generating an ambient occlusion render first (in whichever
way you want to go about that--a grayscale image, with the entire scene and
object using a temporary white pigment?) Then, using illusion.inc to
'camera-project' that AO render back onto the object's real texture, as an
additional overlay.

If I'm correct about the method, then the grayscale AO render first needs to be
taken into, say, Photoshop, to create an alpha-channel mask (using the *same*
image for that but inverted, to create transparency for the white parts of the
image.) *Then* it's overlayed onto the object, so that the real texture can show
through--except where the AO render has darker areas.

Correct so far? (I hope I'm making sense.) Or does your method use an actual
'proximity pattern' as well, in some way?

To Thomas: Nice work with your trials and experiments. I still haven't played
around with the proximity pattern code yet; real-life chores keep getting in the
way. Very irritating :-/