POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
28 Apr 2024 20:07:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 19 Sep 2017 19:10:01
Message: <web.59c1a29281230942e962ef280@news.povray.org>
> OK. I can as well show the state-of-the-art now while it is still in flux.
>
> Proximity Patterns are notoriously difficult when used on flat surfaces.
> They give the best results on complex surfaces with many creases. So,
> knowing what I could expect, I started a series of tests and fine
> tuning. I got an acceptable result using a separate object of the first
> floor (see image EP_Proximity_Test.jpg). However, translating these
> settings to the Gutenbach model - and assuming that I used exactly the
> same settings - I got the second image (see image Gutenbach_test.jpg).
> Not the same.
>
> I think I know what happened and that means that I have to rethink part
> of the model's geometry, at least where the texture use is concerned.
> Bit for now, the experiment shows some promising possibilities.
>
> --
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

probably you overcame the texture fit problem.
If not I can recommend proximity pattern by using an ambient occlusion render
together with the usage of Rune's illusion code. This method is fast and very
precise for small details.

Here is an example when testing some metal materials (no copper corrosion, but
perhaps partly cleaned small copper figures?).

Norbert

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'copper proximity.jpg' (738 KB)

Preview of image 'copper proximity.jpg'
copper proximity.jpg