POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proximity Pattern testing : Re: Proximity Pattern testing Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:39:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern testing
From: omniverse
Date: 19 Sep 2017 16:30:01
Message: <web.59c17d9b812309429c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> OK. I can as well show the state-of-the-art now while it is still in flux.
>
> Proximity Patterns are notoriously difficult when used on flat surfaces.
> They give the best results on complex surfaces with many creases.
>
> I think I know what happened and that means that I have to rethink part
> of the model's geometry, at least where the texture use is concerned.

My having not done much like this I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but my
attempts to apply slope dependent texture on a large CSG building didn't go as
expected at all. Something about scale, I thought, or angular flat surfaces too.

Things like your building texture makes me wonder if surfaces normal can get
skipped over for others unintentionally. But its only the camera-facing wall,
which seems it is around 45 degrees to the others, that makes me wonder if it's
supposed to be that way.

Oh, BTW, is that lower window opening above the bridge a mistake? Trapezoid
shape there, unlike any others. I haven't checked messages about the previous
render to see if that was mentioned before.

Bob