POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Whats Next : Re: Whats Next Server Time
6 May 2024 21:37:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Whats Next
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 12 Sep 2017 07:55:01
Message: <web.59b7ca35dbb94edc3a0a46e0@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <spa### [at] nothanksnet> wrote:
> On 9/7/2017 9:33 PM, Norbert Kern wrote:
> > I like the brass texture too.
> > In fact I tried to reproduce it - here is my attempt...
>
> i used your rmf definition then tweaked the normal map for this version ...
>
> ... i think it looks like cast brass that's been worked a bit.

Yes, it looks patinated.

Personally I love metal materials, but it's difficult to predict their behavior
in several scene setups.
Metals depend on their environment, reflections are more important than diffuse
settings. Metals show sharp contrasts between shadows and highlights.

Therefore I prefer hdr lighting or at least a combination of a normal
lightsource and hdr.

Here I took the nice rolly_sphere together with a more polished silvery metal
material:

#declare mtex =
texture {
        pigment {color rgb <1,0.952,0.818>}
        normal {facets coords 0.024 scale 0.1}
        finish {
                brilliance 2
                specular 0.5
                roughness 0.01
                metallic
                reflection {0.8 metallic}
                ambient 0
                diffuse 0.05
                conserve_energy
        }
}

#declare dtex =
texture {
        pigment {color rgb 1}
        normal {bumps 0.2 sine_wave scale 0.01}
        finish {
                brilliance 1
                specular 0.3
                roughness 0.03
                reflection {0, 0.8 fresnel on}
                ambient 0
                diffuse 0.15
                conserve_energy
        }
}

#declare unnamed_material_ =
material {
        texture {
                pigment_pattern {
                        average
                        pigment_map {
                                [1      wrinkles scale 0.02]
                                [1      wrinkles scale 0.063]
                                [1      wrinkles scale 0.2]
                        }
                }
                texture_map {
                        [0.5    mtex]
                        [1      dtex]
                }
        }
 interior {ior 2.5}
 scale 10
}

Norbert

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rolly_sphere_pov_scene2.jpg' (267 KB)

Preview of image 'rolly_sphere_pov_scene2.jpg'
rolly_sphere_pov_scene2.jpg