POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media tester scene : Re: media tester scene Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:45:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media tester scene
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Sep 2017 13:15:00
Message: <web.59b6c36e252f876e883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> Some combinations might benefit from a ternary plot.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_plot

I had to look up that term (I already knew the concept, but not the name; thanks
for the tip.)  It's an interesting idea; but here's what Wikipedia says...

"In a ternary plot, the proportions of the three variables a, b, and c must sum
to some constant, K. Usually, this constant is represented as 1.0 or 100%."
Meaning, the useful result is represented by some proportion of 'overlapping
area' within the triangle graph, where all 3 variables can still produce the
desired outcome.

To do adequate justice to media-- its many possible variables--a ternary plot
would not be adequate; it would need a 5,6 or 7-variable plot! ;-) Not simple
variables like media method or number of samples, but color, density, color-map
entries, etc.

But here's a simpler 3-variable example, with the sole purpose of making a
decent-looking puffy 'sky cloud.' For the three variables, I'll choose only
COLOR, DENSITY and TURBULENCE. Yet even with this 3-variable restriction, the
resulting ternary plot would have only a tiny circular area somewhere within the
triangle, representing 'a decent puffy cloud'. All other combinations of the 3
variables would indeed produce *something*--but it wouldn't really look like a
sky cloud.

Making a good media object or effect is a tricky business-- because we are so
attuned to real-life examples.