POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media tester scene : Re: media tester scene Server Time
27 Apr 2024 18:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media tester scene
From: Kenneth
Date: 10 Sep 2017 22:35:01
Message: <web.59b5f4ec252f876e883fb31c0@news.povray.org>

> Not to make this any more complex, but as it's in my my mind, I'll
> mention/ask it.  Can media have pigments/textures that have filter /
> transmit /_reflectance_?

Nope, as far as I know. (I'm not sure what 'reflectance' of the media itself
would even look like-- athough it *is* an intriguing idea.) Reflection can be
added to the media *object*-- but since that container is usually invisible
(rgbt 1.0), I don't know if reflections would even show up; I've never tried it.
Probably not what you meant anyway. As far as filter/transmit goes,
color-filtering can be done in the density-statement's color_map. I.e., instead
of using a single red-ish media like
         emission 1.5*<.3,1,.5>
and a density color_map with just float values and no actual colors, you can
'reverse' that. Like...
         emission 1.5
         density{
                spherical
                color_map{
                [0.0 rgb <.3,1,.5>] // red-ish
                [0.25 rgb <.3,1,.5] // ditto
                [0.25 rgb 0] // NO media-- i.e., transparent
                [0.75 rgb 0] // ditto
                [0.75 rgb <.2,.2,1>] // blue-ish
                [1.0 rgb <.2,.2,1>] // ditto
                         }
                 }
         warp{turbulence .5 omega .6}

The color_map itself controls the 'filtering' and the transparency of certain
parts of the media. Since this color_map by itself is just concentric shells of
colors and transparency-- basically showing only red-ish media on the outside--
something like turbulence is needed to 'stir it up', in order to see some of the
inner media and the transparent areas.