POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Emitting media : Re: Emitting media Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:09:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emitting media
From: omniverse
Date: 31 Aug 2017 20:55:01
Message: <web.59a8afc0a4b127e99c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"Loren" <gre### [at] umnedu> wrote:

> I'm having great difficult getting emitting media (glowing red media, as in a
> laser), in my scenes. First, a simple example which doesn't work:
>
> background { color White }
>
> sphere {
>   <0, 1, 2>, 2
>   texture {
>     pigment { color rgbf 1 }
>   }
>   hollow
>   interior{
>        media{ emission Red intervals 30 samples 100,100 }
>   }
> }

The pure white background is the trouble there, the emitting media can't
subtract from that, yet scattering or absorbing media would.

> even though it does work without the "media". What I'd really like to do is add
> a red laser to the following scene, but all I get is a hollow tube. I've tried
> both emitting and scattering media with no success. See especially the cylinder
> that I've marked with a [+].

Although the parameters have been needlessly cranked up, which I presume you did
to try gaining a visible media, the problem is apparently the quartic "drop"
object at the end of the scene file.

If you add 'inverse' keyword to the "drop" the following will appear okay. I
don't know much of anything about quartic but somehow it's applying its material
to everything else without inverse being there.

While hollow will also fix that emitting media visibility it doesn't rid the
water material wrapping around the laser cylinder in version 3.7 (and 3.7.1-rc),
however material isn't seen on this cylinder in v3.6.

cylinder{ M1+5*y, M1, 0.1 pigment {rgbf 1}
hollow on
    interior
    { media { emission <10,0.0,0.0> absorption <0,1,1> samples 5} }
}