POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light Fading Validation : Light Fading Validation Server Time
3 May 2024 01:46:11 EDT (-0400)
  Light Fading Validation
From: Motive17
Date: 31 Aug 2017 05:15:00
Message: <web.59a7d2eefc6e824ae278d3b70@news.povray.org>
Good morning to all,
my issue is relative to the validation of the light fading law applied by
POV-Ray.

I want to verify it, then,

1.I have set an ortographic camera.

2.I am considering only a white light without other effects (I hope it).
I tried with the default fading light law of POV-Ray (setting fade_power and
fade_distance) and also introducing a new simple law like this:

#declare dist = vlength (Light_Location - Wall_Center);
#declare LightFactor = 1/dist;

light_source {
             Light_Location
             color rgb 1 * LightFactor
             fade_distance 1
             fade_power 0
             media_interaction off
      }

3.Light hits an "infinite" black wall with this characteristics:
finish {
         ambient 0
         diffuse 0
         specular 1
         roughness 1
  brilliance 0
         reflection {1}
       }
and positioned at different distances from the emission light.

I am post-processing the images (result of several runs relative to different
distances) evaluating the white mean value in the images by an image editor
software.

It seems that light fading law set in POV-Ray is different from the image
results.

Do you suggest an other method for verifying the light fading?
Is it possible that POV-Ray is not accurate in this tool?

Thank you

Regards
Motive17