POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : total solar eclipse realism : Re: total solar eclipse realism Server Time
5 May 2024 22:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: total solar eclipse realism
From: omniverse
Date: 26 Aug 2017 17:50:00
Message: <web.59a1ebc83866e518471280dc0@news.povray.org>
> On 2017-08-23 09:48 PM (-4), omniverse wrote:
> > These renderings include one of my few total eclipse photos for the corona or
> > halo. What surprised me so much was an appearance of what looked to me like the
> > kind of annular eclipse (moon too far away to fully cover sun) I've seen photos
> > of. Albeit with solar filters to make the sun a dim orange.
> > As I described to everyone, it was as if a yellow-white neon sign letter O was
> > encircling the black void of moon disk. And from there outward was the pale
> > blue-white glow shining away from it.
>
> I've seen 3 totalities (60% success rate, BTW).  I have never perceived
> a yellow ring around the Moon, and I've never heard anyone else describe
> such a feature.  The corona has looked a neutral silver-white to me.
>
> Then again, I have never been able to make out the red solar prominences
> either, although I've heard many people describe them.
>
> It seems that the impression is different to different people.  The only
> resolution I can think of is to physically drag your brother to the next
> total solar eclipse.  ;-)
 Hei s determined to go see it in Texas next time and I'll probably just drive
to Arkansas.

 I was considering it to be some kind of illusion, but to be perfectly honest
when the totality started and I looked up from my camera that was exactly what I
saw.  I only know I looked up least several seconds right at that. And then I
went back to taking more pictures while glancing at it naked eye occasionally. I
can only remember staying very bright along the edge of the moon but nothing
about color after that first look.