POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Valles Marineris from STL to POV-Ray : Re: Valles Marineris from STL to POV-Ray Server Time
1 May 2024 00:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valles Marineris from STL to POV-Ray
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Aug 2017 13:00:00
Message: <web.59971cd5f610cfc3c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I would like to imagine that NASA has created a LARGE full 3-D globe of Mars-- a
> real-life globe-- carved from the planetary data. That would be something to
> see!

Well, I would say that is all of the data is available, and since
planet-building seems to be a long-standing interest of Povvers, that maybe such
a thing would make a nice, long-term group project.

I'm sure we could learn a lot and discover more things about what POV-Ray can &
can't do, and it would make a pretty nice PR piece.
"Hobbyists model ALL of Mars in POV-Ray, a free raytracer with a 25-year
history..."

It would be a really good test bed for view frustum and back-face culling, all
sorts of mesh-related work, and probably media for the atmosphere.