POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
18 May 2024 19:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Mr
Date: 18 Aug 2017 05:20:00
Message: <web.5996b056db2ef77016086ed00@news.povray.org>
> Am 16.08.2017 um 01:12 schrieb Mr:
>
> > Hi, Reading this made me add a few of Lanuhum's properties among which the
> > "hollow" keyword option to objects properties interface, otherwise objects are
> > solid or as much as pov does it.
>
> Does that option directly correspond to POV-Ray's `hollow on` object
> modifier, or does it do something different?

The same yes

> > The inside_vector wasn't supported yet but
> > maybe we could add it using the object's origin. that way, if people want a
> > specific inside vector they can just mov object's origin knowing that its
> > coordinates will be used for inside vector?
>
> The `inside_vector` parameter is /not/ a location, but a direction,
> serving a rather technical purpose.
>
> The background is that in order to test whether a point P is inside a
> mesh or not, POV-Ray shoots a ray in the direction specified by
> `inside_vector`, and counts the number of intersections with the mesh.
> If it finds an odd number of intersections in that direction, P is
> considered inside, otherwise it is considered outside.

Indeed I realised this and first thought about using the object center's
orientation, but this could have led to too many problems when animating...
therefore I chose another solution: a simple interface xyz field where to fill
in numbers of the vector this will appear only when a boolean modifier is on,
which I intend to use as interface to CSG

To Sven, do not get scared in believing you need to "learn Blender", actually
three steps after opening the software are enough to create a pov file with it,
They are explained here:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray#Quick_Start

In your case, you need to add the extra steps below:
*4 right click default cube to select it hit SUPPR and Enter to delete it
*5 going to the menu File > Import > STL, pick your original data.
*6 uncheck the car icon to deactivate automatic initial options and temporary
file naming, also uncheck the "Delete files" option and check "POV Editor" if
you installed Povwin
*7 fill in a file name and folder

Then just hit F12. and after the first render, Povwin will stay open, you can
just use it to navigate to the pov file of your chosen location.
modify/save/rerender it,

*8 come back here, report any problems